Breeding Shiba Inu’s
If you are a big fan of this breed and you want to breed your own puppies read on, because we have a few tips on how you can do this on your own:
- Choose the perfect Dam and Stud for your pups
The genes passed on to the pups are very important, which is why you must make sure first that the Dam and the Stud are the perfect specimens. The physical characteristics and the genetic background are highly important if you want a purebred Shiba Inu puppy.
- Make sure the Dam and the Stud are healthy
Healthy pups come from healthy parents. This is why before you go on with the breeding, you must make sure that your Dam and the Stud are healthy. This requires a few visits to the vet to make sure that she is clean of parasites and that her vaccines are up to date. However, you must make sure that she has not been bred if you want to vaccinate her because any type of medication in the Dam’s body will affect the pups.
- After the Dam has begun “coming in heat”, leave her with the Stud
After the Dam has “come in heat”, you can leave the Stud with her in an enclosed space. They will breed on their own, and one or two days after you left them alone, you can take the Stud back to its owner or move it in another pen, or if you want to make sure the Dam is pregnant, you can repeat the cycle several times more. The gestation period is 63 days.
- Take good care of the Dam and the puppies
During the gestation period, you should pay close attention to the bitch, to make sure she eats enough so that she will have plenty of milk for her puppies. Once the puppies are born, make sure they stay warm and are able to nurse.
Once the puppies are older, remember these:
- Shiba Inus are known for their hunting instinct, so they will most likely chase any other pets you have in the house (cats, other dogs, etc).
- They are not lapdogs, they are very energetic and will run all over the house.
- They are strong willed and in order to train them, you must start early. They sometimes are oblivious to your calls if they see something interesting or if they smell something.
- If they are bored, they often tend to destroy furniture or all sorts of things around the house.
If you want a Shiba Inu pup, but you don’t want to breed on your own or if you don’t have a Shiba Inu Dam and Stud, you can always look up professional breeders. Professional breeders are people who breed dogs professionally and who have experience in this domain. When searching for a breeder, try to make sure they follow certain Breeding Standards and that they consider the dogs more than just money-making machines. The conditions they are kept in must be hygienic, the spaces must be large and they must be treated like actual beings, not forced to breed and then dumped.